Water is always the best drink when expecting. Hydration will boost nutrient absorption, helping your pregnancy go easier. Water allows cells to extract essential minerals and vitamins from your food to travel to the placenta.
If pregnancy weight gain is a concern, water reduces the amount of calories and sugar that enters your body. Every cocktail has a non-alcoholic version. However, not all fruits should be included when making mocktails during pregnancy.
Mocktail Recipes #1: The Mama Sunrise
The Mama Sunrise mocktail was designed specifically with pregnant women in mind. Offering an abundance of nutritious ingredients, including orange juice and lime juice, this libation provides a refreshing alternative to the more calorie-laden alcoholic beverages that pregnant women usually have to give up.
Sweet orange juice is balanced by tart lime juice. Sipping on a Mama Sunrise not only offers something enjoyable and wholesome to drink, it also supports an overall healthier lifestyle while expecting!
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 dashes grenadine
- Crushed ice
- ½ cup lime juice
- Fill half a highball glass with cracked ice.
- Add the orange juice almost to the top of the glass
- Carefully pour the lime juice and grenadine onto the surface of the drink. The grenadine will slowly sink to the bottom, giving you that beautiful sunrise effect.
Mocktail Recipes #2: The Ginger Spritzer
The Ginger Spritzer is a delightful beverage that combines zesty ginger syrup and fresh lemon juice, the perfect combination to refresh and hydrate. The presence of ginger adds an additional benefit, as it helps support digestion and is touted as a cure for morning sickness.
- ½ cup non-alcoholic sparkling wine soda
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 2 squirts lime juice
- Half fill a large wine glass with the non-alcoholic sparkling wine soda.
- Top up with the ginger ale.
- Add a splash of fresh lime juice, and garnish with a round of lime.
Mocktail Recipes #3: The Banana Mama
The Banana Mama is the perfect mocktail for expecting moms who want to bask in the experience of pregnancy without compromising their health. This scrumptious pitcher consists of pure bananas, vanilla extract, and lemon sherbet that helps bring out a subtle zing – perfect for any mood.
- 3 bananas
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1 cup lemon sherbet
- 3 cups grapefruit juice
- Sliced lemon or grapefruit to garnish
- Blend the bananas, lemon sherbet and grapefruit juice together.
- Prepare a pitcher with crushed ice, then pour in the mocktail to chill.
- Serve in tall glasses, garnished with a slice of lemon or grapefruit – or both.
Mocktail Recipes #4: The Strawberry Surprise
Lemons and strawberries are a magical combination, especially when pregnant. This sweet treat can be elevated with fresh strawberry puree.
- 2 cups lemonade
- 1 1/2 cups crushed ice
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- Fresh strawberry to garnish
- Blend together all the ingredients.
- Serve in tall glasses with a fresh strawberry as garnish.
Mocktail Recipes #5: The Fruity Sangria
Sangria is a beloved beverage for many reasons. Every sip of sangria is a delight, from the eye to the palate. The flavor of the cocktail refreshes, with its fruity sweetness balanced by a subtle tartness that comes from the juice and citrus notes. Its complexity is alluring and its versatility allows it to be served on any occasion; it can be enjoyed alone as an aperitif.
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup mango juice
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 pear, sliced
- Mix together the pomegranate juice and mango juice in a large jug.
- Add the sliced orange and pear.
- Leave to chill in the fridge, or serve immediately with ice.
- Serve in a lowball glass, and garnish with an orange slice.
Mocktail Recipes #6: The Nojito
There’s nothing quite like a fresh mojito to make you feel like you’re on vacation. The combination of mint, rum, lime and sugar creates an unmistakable flavor that is both sweet and tart, instantly transporting us to a beach somewhere warm with a cool ocean breeze.
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 cup soda water
- Sliced lime and sprigs of mint to garnish
- Muddle lime juice and sugar in a glass.
- Mix mint leaves and club soda together.
- Serve and enjoy!
Mocktail Recipes #7: The Virgin Mary
Bloody Marys are a classic brunch go-to for many. They offer a pleasant balance of bold flavors from the tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, lemon juice, and spices. Load up your glass of Mary with some celery sticks for a nutrient boost, including vitamin K and folate.
- Sea salt
- Fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- Crushed ice
- Lemon wedge and rosemary sprig to garnish
- Place the rim of a tall glass in fresh lime juice.
- Dip into sea salt.
- Fill the glass with cracked ice and add the lemon juice, hot sauce and tomato juice.
- Stir and garnish with a lemon wedge and a rosemary sprig.
Mocktail Recipes #8: The Virgin Pina Colada
Pina coladas are a fun and refreshing summertime cocktail combining sweet, tangy pineapple and creamy coconut. Not only do they taste amazing, but they look beautiful in their glass tumbler, bedazzled with an umbrella or paper straws.
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup coconut syrup
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Pineapple chunks to garnish
- Mix the pineapple juice and coconut syrup together in a jug of crushed ice.
- Serve in a lowball glass with a chunk of pineapple to garnish.
- Consider throwing in a little cocktail umbrella, too.
Mocktail Recipes #9: The Mulled Mama
Going back to the Romans, mulled wine has long been a festive delight. Its combination of aromatics and spices make any cold evening cozy. Sipping on a glass of mulled wine has many health benefits due to its immune-boosting cinnamon, ginger and citrus components.
- 1 liter pomegranate juice
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of cloves
- 1 pinch of orange peel
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of allspice berries
- 1 pinch of star anise
- Heat the pomegranate juice.
- Add the mulling spices for three hours.
- Strain out the spices before serving.
These mocktails, many of which include natural ingredients such as cranberry juice and lime, are specially made to serve the needs of pregnant women by allowing them to lighten up their beverages without compromising on taste and flavor. The Reframe app is a great tool to foster lasting change if you're looking to reframe your relationship with alcohol. Developed in conjunction with professionals in the fields of neuroscience and mental health, Reframe provides regularly updated behavior strategies and helpful tools for users. It can even connect you with a network of supportive individuals who understand your journey toward self-improvement. Plus, various studies suggest that those who use Reframe have a significantly reduced rate of alcohol consumption. So why wait? Start your self-care journey today! Download Reframe now!