If you've landed on this page, you're probably in a place where you're considering cutting alcohol out of your life, and you want it to be a quick, clean break. You can make this decision today.
However, we first want to acknowledge that it's not always an easy, flawless path. There will probably be setbacks and bumps in the road, and that's okay! Have grit and persistence, and you can get back on track. A bump in the road doesn't define you.
Here at Reframe, we want to meet you on your journey, wherever you're at. This article will detail a couple important tips to quit drinking, and if you're interested on taking some steps toward cutting back or stopping alcohol use with us, download the Reframe app. We'd love to have you.
Now, let's get into some tips on what will help you to get sober.
- Determine your "why." This is made up of some of the reasons you're considering quitting or cutting back on drinking. These reasons could be physical, emotional, or have to do with relationships. When you can identify your "why," you can always come back to it when you need to center yourself.
- Change your environment. Remove alcohol from your home. Take a different route to work that doesn't pass by the liquor store. In changing simple environmental factors, you can remove yourself from situations that may lead you to drink.
- Find a support system/community. One of the best things you can do is to surround yourself with people who support you. Identify trusted members of your network and confide in them. You can also find communities online or in-person with others who are on a similar journey. This way, you can hold each other accountable and be there for one another throughout this process.
- Practice turning down a drink. In our culture, drinking alcohol is extremely commonplace, and it may even go against the current to turn down a drink. Take time to practice ways to say "no."
- Self-care & coping mechanisms. Oftentimes, we drink alcohol as a form of coping. Replace the time you'd spend drinking with other self-care and coping mechanisms, such as exercise, a new hobby, journaling, etc.
- Learn the benefits. If you haven't read our article about the benefits of cutting down on drinking yet, check it out here. When you know of the benefits you're gaining from a changed relationship with alcohol, it may encourage you to keep going.
The first step is deciding to change your relationship with alcohol. Everything else listed here will help you along from there.
You've got this. We at Reframe are here to support and help you along this journey. Join us today, and begin working toward a more fulfilling life.